Pageviews past week

Trump Accuses President Obama of Siding with Terrorists, And the New Media Shrugs it Off? That is

I post opinions at least once a week here. Often I write about politics or media coverage of politics -- two subjects I have followed closely for more than 30 years.

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Random Musings

I am really tired of ...........seeing Jennifer Aniston on magazine covers at the grocery store or news stands everywhere. Why are we still seeing her after months and years have passed? Can someone explain this to me? She hasn't done anything to draw this attention. I understand there must be some "market" for Aniston gossip out there, but this never ends! Aniston has become the "permanent celebrity face" we cannot escape. She was a star on one popular television sitcom (which wasn't even good, in my view) I thought even tabloids believed in variety - but, apparently, Jennifer Aniston is SO unique that we all need constant updates or we'll suffer awful consequences. (I'm sick of "Brangelina" too!)

I am really tired of...........Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton and other "phony celebrities" who seem to do anything to attract media coverage. OK, I concede that Spears is at least a singer, but, to this day, I don't know what Lohan and Hilton even do for a living. Are they entertainers? I guess I'm old-fashioned, but, I like the idea of people doing something to earn fame.

I am really tired of ..........seeing so many people get on the commuter train and stare non-stop - like robots - at their Blackberries or "super-equipped" cellphones. I guess people prefer interacting with their little electronic toys more than human beings on the train. But, what really gets me is when I hear people calling their spouses to give all-important updates by cellphone: "The train left five minutes late," a husband tells his wife in a monotone. I wince - wishing for the time when cellphones didn't exist and people didn't feel these new, unnatural impulses to do meaningless "check-ins." What would happen if people had to throw out all Blackberries, cellphones, pagers, etc? I think the human condition might improve a bit......Just my opinion.

I am really tired of..........the White House press corps distorting little events and details relating to President Obama into stories that go on for days rather than discussing Obama's policies on a substantive basis. For example, a great deal of attention was given to Obama's short, firm reply, at last week's press conference, to a television reporter who asked Obama why he hadn't responded more quickly after learning of the bonuses given to AIG executives. Obama said: "...because I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak."
In days that followed, many references were made to Obama being irritable or snapping at the reporter when his tone was not that glaring. In any event, it was not a BIG deal.

I am really tired of ......... members of the press acting surprised as they've complained that Obama is too "cool" and does not show emotion when he "should." Obama, in his entire campaign, maintained a cool demeanor. Why the surprise now? I would say "He is who he is..." and sometimes that means he'll probably display less emotion than some might think matches the moment.

I am really tired of......Republican members of the US House and Senate offering no substantive comments or proposals of their own (besides tax cuts), and, instead, only whining about Obama's ideas. It seems to me the "Party of No" nickname totally fits right now.

I am really tired of........so very few Democratic US House members and Senators showing support of President Obama's proposals on the economy and other issues. Talk about wimps. After eight years of Bush and control of majorities in both chambers, most Democrats have been remarkably silent in as Obama tries to take advantage of perhaps the only period of momentum he'll have during his Presidency. It seems Democrats want to see more signs of huge improvement in the sagging economy before they speak up to defend Obama.

I am really tired of..... receiving hundreds of telemarketing calls for nearly two years from companies wanting to make money to help me deal with the pending expiration of my car warranty AND other firms wanting to help me "consolidate my credit card debt." OK, I guess I'll have to take preventive measures, but, why should any of us be forced to do that?

I am really tired of ........hearing about the weather. It seems that since some TV executives decided winter weather chatter improved ratings, local TV stations are happy to discuss "possible" minor snowstorms five days away instead of real news. Thank God it's spring.

I am really tired of.............getting into bad traffic no matter where I drive around Boston. The Boston area was clearly not meant to accommodate so many people. This city so desparately needs new roads, but I never hear state officials discuss any ambitious plans to improve infrastructure. It seems we'll be driving forever on roads like Storrow Drive, a road designed more for the traffic during the 1950s.

1 comment:

  1. Right on with the musings- I've had it with ads for beautiful Russian women looking for men-The same with Singlesnet-telling me someone has searched my name-when I have never visited the web-site.
    Shame on the press with Obama-
    Cell-phones on the trains!!!

    ReplyDelete