Pageviews past week

Trump Accuses President Obama of Siding with Terrorists, And the New Media Shrugs it Off? That is

I post opinions at least once a week here. Often I write about politics or media coverage of politics -- two subjects I have followed closely for more than 30 years.

Monday, November 30, 2009

Capuano Needs Super Finish to Catch Coakley

I'm still waiting for Martha Coakley to give me a reason to vote for her in the Dec. 8th Democratic Primary election for the US Senate seat in Massachusetts.

I've still seen nothing. Coakley has run an overly cautious, bland, uninspiring campaign, particularly when you consider the excitement and honor she must feel about the chance to replace the late US Sen. Edward Kennedy.

Coakley is the state attorney general, after having served for years as a district attorney. She's been around the block. She's got to know how to run a more substantive campaign. Instead, it appears that because she's the frontrunner, she's decided to avoid saying anything with an edge or a risky component to it.

I never like it when any candidate chooses this risk-avoidance strategy. Further, I cannot stand it when political pundits and reporters keep pointing out that Coakley's using this approach and saying, openly, that it's smart, or, makes such wise, strategic sense.

So, let me get this straight. Coakley's risk-avoidance is considered fine and dandy at a time when our country is facing all kinds of crises and important decisions in both the domestic and foreign policy arenas. We desparately need to hear as much as possible from these four Democratic candidates about their views, their passions, their experiences -- and, what, specifically, they'd do in Washington to improve things.

So, what have I heard from all four? I've continued to observe that Mike Capuano is the most bold, outspoken, substantive, clear communicator of the candidates. At the end of an exchange with the four of them, you tend to know where Capuano stands the most clearly. Why is that?

It's no coincidence. It's because Capuano speaks his mind and acts naturally. He's a feisty guy who's fueled by anger at at times, but, his anger is directed at the right targets. He's impatient with the status quo, the bureaucracy and the forces that prevent change. Sure, I wish, at times, that he'd squelch some of the angry intonation in his voice and replace it with a tactful, cool tone, but, in the end, I like what Capuano, an experienced, battle-tested US Representative, brings to the table.

What have the other two major candidates offered>

Steve Pagliuca, the Celtics co-owner, keeps displaying his "novice" qualities as a candidate. He looks, acts and sounds like a rookie. His television and radio commercials continue to sound "bush-league." He sounds bland most of the time. I think the most distinctive thing he's done so far is to produce an advertisement critical of Coakley and Capuano. Have I really learned anything about this guy? No. I learned early on that he supported Mitt Romney in an earlier campaign, and, I haven't even heard him explain why the hell he's even in a Democratic primary. Apparently, he thinks all his has to do is fill the airwaves with his fluffy, empty ads that, essentially, say "I'm Steve Pagliuca and I want to win."

Then, there's Alan Khazei, the co-founder of City Year. Khazei has run an unconventional, original campaign in which he often says something unpredictable or more interesting and thoughtful than his opponents. However, he's completely untested and I still feel there's something objectionable about electing a complete newcomer to such an important post by catapulting him immediately to fill the seat of perhaps the greatest US Senator in the history of the country. Why can't Khazei pay some dues? Shouldn't he have run for another office before seeking the US Senate seat?

Capuano says his much more extensive experience means a lot. I agree with him - especially in these fragile, crazy times we live in. I want to know Capuano is down in DC opposing any additional involvement in Afghanistan. I can't imagine any of the other three voicing that opposition as assertively and effectively than Mike Capuano. That's important.

I hope Capuano does well in the debates this week. It's probably his last chance to mount a surge to pass Coakley. The pollsters have said some of Coakley's support is "soft." I guess we'll find out.

I would like to think that the candidate who displays the most good ideas, has strong stands on issues, a clear statement of purpose, and shows the courage of his or her convictios will emerge by the Dec. 8th Primary. I expect Mike Capuano to be that person.

A candidate should be rewarded for speaking with boldness and candor and lose points for deliberately not saying anything risky out of fear of losing votes. Capuano over Coakley.

2 comments:

  1. Why is Steve Pagliuca running in a democratic Primary? Lets see: He's pro-choice, against the death penalty, for gun control, for health care reform, for raising taxes on people making over 250 K, for getting off foreign oil as fast as possible and supports cap and trade, for bringing our troops home from Afghanistan and ceasing nation-building......the List goes on.

    Please inform yourself next time before unfairly disparaging someone who is committing large amounts of his own resources and facing a great deal of public scruity, just so that he can help fix the biggest problems that face our generation.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. To "Anonymous" - I appreciate that you shared a comment, but, I stand exactly on what I said. I don't take it as lightly as you do that Pagliuca supported Romney over Kennedy in 1994 and, has, apparently, made financial contributions to other Republicans through the years. Further, I've followed political campaigns all my life and I believe Pagliuca, for a guy with so many resources, is running a very poor, simplistic, empty campaign. I don't mind you're disagreeing, but, don't tell me I'm "unfairly disparaging" someone when I'm giving my opinion - based on observation and fact.

    ReplyDelete